The PUBLIC C9-AL (Aluminum) is a sleeker version of our best-selling city bike and our lightest-weight step-through frame to date. This smart, lightweight commuter uses a modern frame design and is well-suited for breezing through errands around the city as well as longer commutes.
The PUBLIC C9-AL is our best step-through city bike, with more performance than ever and unbeatable value. We went back to the drawing board with a totally redesigned frame made from PUBLIC premium aluminum tubing. The Shimano 9-speed drivetrain provides a wider range of gears to conquer even steeper hills and longer distances, and the Rapid-fire trigger shifter provides quick, effortless shifting.
To keep this bike trim and sleek, we swapped in a lighter-weight saddle and commuter-tested handlebars while nixing the fenders, chain guard and kickstand altogether. Weighing in at just 25lbs, the PUBLIC C9-AL is a full 5lbs lighter than our average steel bike. This weight savings makes a big difference when you’re carrying the bike up or down stairs or during your regular commute.
This walk-up-apartment-friendly commuter features a low entry design that makes it easy to put a foot down when stopped, and allows you to get on and off the bike with ease in everyday attire. Puncture-resistant commuter bike tires deliver our signature smooth ride, even on rough city streets, and strong dual-pivot caliper brakes let you ride hard and stop on a dime in any traffic jam.
Lastly, front and rear rack mounts are included to accommodate a range of baskets and cargo racks, so you can let the bike do all of the heavy lifting. You'd be hard-pressed to find a better bike at such an affordable price, with thoughtful design and quality components normally found on bikes costing much more.
With refinements in style and performance, we can confidently say the PUBLIC C9-AL is the best commuter bike available whether you’re going uptown, downtown, or all-around town.
- Frame: PUBLIC premium aluminum tubing, with fender and rack braze-ons
- Fork: PUBLIC chromoly hi-tensile blend fork, with fender and rack braze-ons
- Saddle: Premium PUBLIC Bike Saddle, memory foam, 186mm wide, steel polish rails.
- Grips: PUBLIC Comfort Grip
- Stem: Forged alloy quill stem, 25 degree rise, 25.4mm clamp
- Headset: 1" threaded, steel
- Pedals: Wellgo C169, full alloy platform and cage, 9/16" axle
- Handlebar: PUBLIC alloy Cafe Handlebar, 600mm wide, 25postdeg backsweep, 35mm rise
- Seat Post: Alloy micro-adjust with integrated clamp, 27.2mm
DRIVETRAIN AND BRAKES
- Shifter: Shimano Altus Rapidfire trigger shifters, 9-speed index
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano Altus 9-speed
- Crankset: Alloy crankset 170mm, 39 tooth chainring with outer chainring guard, square taper.
- Cassette: Shimano 9 speed HG2019 11-34 tooth cassette
- Brakes: Cold forged, high polish, alloy dual pivot caliper, with alloy 4 finger levers
WHEELS AND TIRES
- Tires: Kenda Kwest 700x35c in Cream
- Tubes: Presta
- Rims: Painted to match, alloy 32H, 700c, machine braking surface.
- Spokes: Stainless steel
- Hubs: Alloy low flange 32H, nutted bolt-on axle
- Weight: 24.5 lbs