Throughout Zipp's 30-year history, its pursuit has been speed, and with a passionately focused mindset "…to make you faster." With aerodynamics reaching a natural plateau of performance progress, Zipp ushers in a new era with the 303 Firecrest carbon wheel that looks beyond air resistance to boost efficiency across the entire wheel-system, giving you "the next chapter of speed." Designed to match with your modern drop-bar bike's increasingly ample frame clearance and the real-world challenges like gravel washboards and infrequently paved back-roads, the 303 Firecrest works to preserve energy so you can make speed
An all-new rim design is the key to Zipp's efficiency goals. The now hookless tire bead (fitting a minimum of 28mm tires) allows the tire to sit deeper and fatter in the wheel bed, leaving the tire more flush with the rim — oddly enough, improving aerodynamics. You'll feel a more secure tire underneath you that utilizes a short-wide contact patch, improving traction and reducing tire deflection when aggressively diving in and out of turns. Essentially, the tire maintains its shape, corners better, and produces less rolling resistance with the hookless design compared to the previous generation.
Weight savings is another area of focus for the new 303 Firecrest, and to say that there have been improvements would be a little insulting. Zipp uses a more refined carbon layup and a thinner tire bed that, in addition to the hookless design, drops a staggering 300g off the weight of the previous 303 Firecrest. And with high-end modern bikes increasingly tipping over 18lb, this weight reduction has us giddy with excitement.
Keeping you fast on the bike is also about keeping you rolling forward. And if you've experienced even five-miles of bone-wrecking washboard, you know that maintaining forward speed is challenging and uncomfortable on rough terrain. The 303 Firecrest allows you to run wide gravel tires (think 50mm) with low psi, thanks to a gaping 25mm inner rim-width, helping the tire absorb the road vibrations and reducing your fatigue levels. And the newly designed ZR1 Hub engages quickly for tight riding and racing situations, as well as provides an easily removable freehub for maintenance.
These wheels are only compatible with tubeless ready tires.
- Endurance and performance lines converge in the all-new design
- Decreased weight improves responsiveness and steep-slope speed
- Increased rim widths hold wider tires to conquer rough terrain
- German-designed hub with sixty-six points of engagement
- No air compressors needed with the new tubeless rim bed
- Tubeless and tubeless compatible tires only
- Center Lock lock-rings included
- Zipp continues to expand the capabilities of the modern wheelset
Max Recommended System Weight: 250lbs/114kg
- Max Tire Pressure: 73psi/5.0bar
- ISO Diameter (ETRTO): 622
- Tire Type: Tubeless (Clincher)
- Brake Type: Disc Brake (Centerlock)
- Hub: Disc Brake
- Axle Type: Thru Axle
- Hub Spacing: 12 x 142mm
- Drive Type (Rear Hub): SRAM XDR
- Rim: Zipp 303 Firecrest (40mm Depth)
- Rim Width: 25mm (Inner), 30mm (Outer)
- Valve: Presta
- Spoke Count: 24H
- Spoke Type: J-Bend
- Material: Carbon
- Color: Black
- Weight: 784g (Rear)