At the helm of taking traction, stability, speed, and stiffness to new heights stands the Roval Traverse Fattie 38 27.5 wheels. And while, yes, they feature a lightweight alloy rim and a quality build, what turns them into descending machines is the 38mm internal rim width. Let's find out why.
The reason behind this is easy: Aside from the lightweight and ultra-rugged E5 alloy construction, the combination of the rim width with wider hub flanges creates an increase in plus-sized tire volume. This means that you get more suppleness in the ride quality. But not only this, the ample width also better supports the tire, so you'll experience less "burping" when riding tubeless, as well as a drastic increase in traction.
Along with light overall weight, stiffness, and durability, another top priority for the Traverse was ease of use. First off, we got rid of the creaky straight-pull spokes and corrosion-prone alloy nipples. Next up, we landed on 28 J-bend spokes, for front and rear wheels, that are all the same length—making it easy to find replacements if needed. And finally, we engineered a new hub design, with a wider profile and higher flange to aid in overall stiffness.
These aren't just a one-trick pony, though. At the front hub, you'll get a 15x110mm thru-axle (end cap options included), and at the rear, the 148mm hub features DT Swiss internals for lightning-fast engagement and acceleration. And to top everything off, these wheels are hand-built to ensure the perfect tension and a long lifespan.
Whether you've just picked up a new 27.5+ bike, or you're curious to try out high-volume tires, like a 2.8", on your Boost™-spaced 29er, the Traverse 38 Fattie 27.5 wheels will leave you impressed after the first spin.
- Rim Material: E5 high-strength alloy
- Rim Width: 38mm internal
- Front Spoke Pattern: Two-cross
- Rear Spoke Pattern: Two-cross
- Spoke Count: 28h Front, 28h Rear
- Spoke Type: DT Swiss Competition Race J-bend
- Nipple Type: DT Swiss Brass Pro Lock hexagonal
- Front Hub: Alloy body, 15mmx110 thru-axle, 19 and 31mm OD end cap options included.
- Rear Hub: CNC-machined alloy body, high-quality DT 360 internals, includes SRAM XX1 11-speed freehub and 148 end cap.
- Bearing Type: Sealed cartridge
- Roval Engineered J-bend hubshells have a single spoke length for each wheelset.
- Assembly Method: Hand-built
- Every wheel includes tubeless valve stems in order to make tubeless set-up a touch easier.
- Total Wheelset Weight: 2000g