When trying to decide on the best type of bike, think about these questions:
- What kind of riding do you want to do?
- Do you see yourself growing as a rider?
- What do friends you'll be trying to keep up with ride?
- What have you had in the past that you liked?
- What have you had in the past that you disliked?
- How much money are you comfortable spending?
If you are buying a bike to ride with a group of friends— you're often best off buying something similar to what they ride. You will not be able to keep up with road bikes if you are on a mountain bike or cruiser. And a road bike cannot cannot venture into the dirt or the sand.
If you enjoyed a three speed as a child, you may find cruisers to be a fun bike again. If you disliked the road bike you bought a few years ago—perhaps a mountain bike or hybrid would be a better choice now.